~ CAPE TOWN ~
Construction of Boundary & Retaining Walls in Cape Town
- Home or garden boundary or retaining walls
- Straight line or on a slope installation
- Brick, blocks or retaining walls on boundary
- Tall / commercial boundary & retaining walls
- Regulations, cost and estimates
Are thinking of constructing a boundary wall around your home in Cape Town? Boundary wall builders in Cape Town will help you meet all the engineering principles that go into ensuring you have a sound perimeter wall.
If you build a wall with a poor foundation, bad design, and which lacks piers and expansion joints, then you should expect cracks within no time.
Things To Consider Before Boundary Wall Construction
To prevent your boundary wall from developing cracks and starting to lean too soon, then you should consider the following:
The Wall Design
Boundary wall building costs are likely to escalate if the design is not good enough. That’s especially when repairs are no longer tenable and the only option is to tear down the wall and build a new one. Ask a boundary wall contractor to help you design a free-standing wall. This should take into consideration the prevailing boundary wall height regulations.
Before building a boundary wall, it is important that you design the foundations in conformity with the slopes and soil conditions. Sometimes, it is necessary to reinforce the foundations with steel bars.
Does your boundary wall also serve as a retaining wall and is effected by soil and water thrust? If ‘yes’, then the foundation should rise as high up the wall as possible. This is so that the weight of the retained soil helps to further stabilize the structure of the foundation.
Adequate Piers and Expansion Joints
To avoid cracks in your wall, ensure that the boundary wall construction expert installs enough joints and piers. Don’t leave cracks in piers and freestanding walls unfilled with concrete.
Are you building the wall on a slope? If ‘yes’, then you should provide adequate seeping holes for draining storm water. Where it is also a retaining wall, then you must install sub-soil drainage.
Given the nature of free-standing walls, you should build them without a damp-proof course (DPC), usually a plastic membrane to create a stronger bond between the wall and the foundation. To avoid the formation of damp high up the wall, use harder bricks.
Boundary Wall Building Costs
To determine the boundary wall building costs, you need to take into consideration a few things including the following:
- Ask boundary wall builders in Cape Town to help you determine the number of bricks you will require to build the wall. Multiply the cost of each brick by the number of bricks required to finish the job.
- Mortar is made of sand, cement, and water. The cost of mortar will depend on the ration in which you are mixing these three components. A boundary wall contractor will help you to determine the right ratio.
- The cost of plaster will be determined by the total area which requires plastering. If you have a large surface wall, then it will cost you more to have it adequately painted.
Ask the best boundary wall builders in Cape Town to help you to actualize your project. In the end, the work should be of the highest quality.Get a FREE Boundary Wall Installation Quote